Google's search algorithms are updated innumerable times in a year. But most of these changes are minute. But the major ones termed as Google core updates are declared beforehand allowing the webmasters the chance to prepare and optimize accordingly. The simplest way to benefit from or take advantage is by going through Google algorithm update on search engine optimization. If you do this you'd easily be able to optimize your site by producing high quality contents which will be liked by the visitors on your website.
Going through this article will help you understand some of the best Google algorithm changes that Google has made over decades.
To make things clear and basic for you Google algorithm is a complex system of digital marketing which is the best possible answer to your search queries. This isn't as easy and simple as it may sound. Each of the Google algorithms uses a set of rules through which it calculates which web pages answer a query best, and then hierarchically organize those pages in search results according to their relevance.
At the time Google was first introduced it wasn't making as many updates as its making today. Today, Google makes thousands of updates in a year be it small or major one. Micro updates do not affect the webmasters and users whereas every time Google announces a major update this is what SEO professionals and webmaster must prepare for. Every time Google makes a major update it is termed as core update which means that a core or a significant part of the algorithm is going to undergo change and its going to have a major impact on SEO as well as user experience.
Below is a list of some of the major Google algorithm updates that has taken place over the past ten years.
1. Caffeine Index Update - Caffeine Indexing System intended to speed up search results for better user experience. It helped publishers content getting seen faster. Through this update the importance or significance of website performance was emphasized.
2. Panda Update - With it came the new ranking method. The panda update penalized content farms and keyword stuffing to serve quality contents. Many members of the SEO community had to change their tactics. Black hat SEO tactics like keyword stuffing no longer worked as well and SEOs had to adjust by ensuring that content was really providing value to readers and answers search queries effectively.
3. Penguin Update - With Penguin Update Google could target websites that have webspam and which uses manipulative link building tactics. Google called it the "webspam algorithm update." Through this update black SEO techniques could be tracked down. Manipulative link building techniques were abandoned from working any longer and also low quality links began to see decreases in their organic traffic and rankings.
4. Venice Update - With Venice Update users and searchers were able to find search results of products and services in a closer geographical proximity to which they were living. Users could expect to find results close by. This made the smaller businesses in town much more visible to the audiences.
5. Pirate Update - this update was made in order to prevent websites with copyright issues from ranking well in Google's search results. Due to this update if your website is in violation of Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and if Google is able to verify it, it will be down ranked in Google's organic search results.